Saturday 1 November 2014

Quotation for commentary - again

I repeat here the II question of the last test, for those who did not answer it (or think they have handed defficiently). Please write your commentary on the comment box (around 25 lines). Remember that although this question was not graded in the text, this kind of work counts for continuous assessment. And, most importantly, for your practice!


Below, you will find a quotation from Blanche Dubois’s speech in the play A Streetcar Named Desire by Tennessee Williams (1947). Taking it as inspiration, produce a commentary on the subject(s) of realism and/or relativism of truth / moral values in US post-1945 literature, bearing in mind at least two texts studied in class.

“I don't want realism. I want magic! Yes, yes, magic! I try to give that to people. I misrepresent things to them. I don't tell the truth, I tell what ought to be the truth. And if that's a sin, then let me be damned for it!”

 

(A Streetcar Named Desire: a play in three acts. New York: Dramatists Play Service Inc., 1947, p. 84)

No comments:

Post a Comment