Sunday 16 November 2014

Billy Pilgrim's Letter about Tralfamadorians (Vanessa Ideias, Ana Durão e Marta)

    The most important thing I learned on Tralfamadore was that when a person dies he only appears to die. He is still very much alive in the past, so it is very silly for people to cry at his funeral. All moments, past, present and future, always have existed, always will exist. The Tralfamadorians can look at all the different moments just that way we can look at a stretch of the Rocky Mountains, for instance. They can see how permanent all the moments are, and they can look at any moment that interests them. It is just an illusion we have here on Earth that one moment follows another one, like beads on a string, and that once a moment is gone it is gone forever.
'When a Tralfamadorian sees a corpse, all he thinks is that the dead person is in a bad condition in that particular moment, but that the same person is just fine in plenty of other moments. Now, when I myself hear that somebody is dead, I simply shrug and say what the Tralfamadorians say about dead people, which is "so it goes."
    They pretty much resemble what we today call a plumber's friend. They are green in color - a very flashy green, in fact – and about two feet high, having their so called suction cups on the ground, working as a single foot on which they manage to stand. They also possess a single eye in the middle of their heads, which happen to be shaped like hands. That is because their intelligence resides in their actions. They see with their hands and they also think with their hands, immediately turning their thoughts into actions. They are quite admirable, the Tralfamadorians. With their way of facing life and death and so on. They also have no free-will. And that makes things so much less complicated.

    Now that I think about it, I remember I have written about their appearance before. It doesn't matter. Let us just say this repetition of information serves to keep a very fresh and vivid image of these creatures in your minds, just in case you happen to forget. In fact, I have even taken the liberty of water-coloring one of these extraterrestrial beings myself, just for your viewing pleasure:
 I told you before they looked like plumbers' friends.
And to think a creature like the one you have just now seen was capable of getting me displayed in a Tralfamadorian Zoo.
    It was a strange place, the Tralfamadorian Zoo. Lonely. But I was given everything I needed for survival there.
    I had visits every single day. Not actual visits, but curious Tralfamadorians who very much wanted to see the new creature displayed at the Zoo. The sight of me apparently made them extremely happy for some reason. All I had to do was my usual everyday routine and that had them screeching in euphoria. Telepathically, of course. Because that's how they do it. That's how they communicate.
    Suddenly, one fateful day, I was not alone in that exhibit anymore. Another human, a woman, had been thrown inside the same exhibit as me. Her name was Montana Wildhack. They expected us to mate. And so we did. We had a child. I know nothing of that child today. He or she is probably not a child anymore. It could even be dead, for all I know. So it goes.
    I should have probably finished writing this letter long ago, but I suppose I got carried away.

Eagerly awaiting a response,



Prezi das colegas aqui


E ainda links para "crash courses":
Parte 1: http://youtu.be/F6g7S2W27Kc
Parte 2: http://youtu.be/HyKhIiGKq5M

No comments:

Post a Comment